Monday, December 12, 2011

Small town Iowan goes to Chicago for the first time

Hello,





I%26#39;ll be driving to Chicago from Des Moines, IA. Just wondering about how long it%26#39;ll take? I%26#39;ll be stopping at OakBrook, IL first. I%26#39;ve tried google maps but would like a more realistic time frame with traffic and such...It suggested just over 5 hrs.





What time is my best best to leave to avoid rush hour?





Any advice for a first timer? Will I run into toll roads?





Once we arrive we plan to take public transportation I%26#39;m just worried about getting there first:) Maybe I should look into a GPS device hehe



Please feel free to share any other advice or suggestions, I could sure use it!!





Thanks for your advice:)





Small town Iowan goes to Chicago for the first time


There are two primary routes that you can take between the Quad Cities and Chicagoland. I haven%26#39;t driven either for a few years, but I-88 used to have the better roads - less traffic and better road surfaces. It%26#39;s a toll road. You also could take I-80 to I-55 and up. 5 hours sounds about right, with adding another hour or so if you%26#39;re near Chicago during rush hour. If possible, time your trip to drive opposite the rush hour traffic from 6:30 - 10 and 3:30 - 7. In other words, drive out of the city in the a.m. and into the city in the evening.





Another option is to park by a train station in the suburbs and take the commuter train into Chicago. I have done this before and really prefer it to navigating, battling traffic, looking for parking, paying hefty parking costs, etc. I personally don%26#39;t think having a car is worth the hassle or expense downtown. Here%26#39;s information on train routes, times, etc.: http://www.metrarail.com. There are stations in Lombard and Downers Grove that are fairly close to Oak Brook.





Have a great trip!



Small town Iowan goes to Chicago for the first time


Use the Metra station in Hinsdale, there%26#39;s no sense driving from Oak Brook out to Downers just to take the train back in.





/pbz




Well my Parents are from medinah not to far from your area of shopping ..I would recommend staying out of traffic from 7:30 am-9 am Leave before or after and Traffic starts to get horrible from the city to NW subs. 3:30-5:30 again leaving before or after .. Seems to always work for me.



shopping on Michigan ave is more exciting then the Suburb%26#39;s. But to each his own.



Woodfield mall is the best in the area for higher quality I would say: Oakbrook mall. If your planning a visit to the city at all. I would say: vist navy Pier ..Have a fun trip... i will be in town soon.


  • cream tones
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment