Monday, December 12, 2011

Suggestions on hotels

I may travel to Des Moines from L.A. for family reasons this spring or summer. While I plan to stay 2 or 3 nights, I may have to extend my stay a week or more. Which hotels routinely offer discounted weekly rates or 4- to 6-night packages? I%26#39;d prefer not to rent a car, so I want a downtown location (I need to get to the East Side easily by taxi or city bus, and I%26#39;d also like to explore the East Village and other parts of downtown when not with my family).





Besides hotels, I%26#39;ll consider B%26amp;Bs or a very short-term rental. I see that the Kirkwood Civic Center Hotel is still open--are the rooms nice and the service O.K.? The Renaissance-Savery seems rather expensive and the Fort Des Moines, where I stayed before, attracted rather too Middle American a clientele for my level of comfort as an openly gay man, even if the service was excellent. My sisters have stayed at Embassy Suites, and their view of its noisiness and service matches reflects its uneven Trip Advisor and Yahoo Travel reviews.





Suggestions on hotels


For where you want to be the Embassy Suites is your best bet. It%26#39;s walking distance to the east village. It really is a nice hotel despite what others have posted way better than the Kirkwood and Hotel Fort Des Moines. The Suites at 800 Locust are also very nice but based on what you have said in your posting...Embassy Suites definitely. You%26#39;ll also find some nice gay bars near by as well - The Garden and Blazing Saddles.



Suggestions on hotels


I haven%26#39;t stayed at the Kirkwood in a few years, only because my businesss took me to another part of the city, but I always found it to be a good place to stay and the rooms spacious. The location is great too, especially the proximity to the coffee shop up the street and some restaurants in the area. The staff seem to mind their own, and my latest stay at the Savery left me a bit annoyed as they put a $700 hold on my debit card for a one-night stay that took an act of God to remove....practically.

No comments:

Post a Comment