Saturday, March 27, 2010

Driving through Iowa's I-80

Hello!





In June we will be taking a two week road trip through the US, which will take us through Iowa. To have all answers concentrated in one place I%26#39;ve made a post with all the details in the Chicago forum, which is where our trip starts. Here is the thread:





…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k24330…





I know there has been some controversy so far over my choice of road trip itinerary. I myself have felt worried about it too, with the same concerns about driving lengths, but I really wanted us to be able to see and do as much as possible, and I%26#39;m hopeful that everything will work out and we will have an incredible trip. With your help it can be even better. :) I also apologize for calling Iowa pretty boring -- I truly don%26#39;t mean to insult anyone from here. There are plenty of great things to see, I know, however with two weeks we%26#39;ve had to prioritize, and so IA is a place where we have not put much priority in. Like I mentioned though I would love to see a place or two a long the way, based on your suggestions. :)





Anyway so it%26#39;s easier to keep track of things, your suggestions in the thread linked to above would be great!





Thanks for the help!



Driving through Iowa's I-80


That certainly is an ambitious schedule! If you have any interest in U.S. history, you may want to consider these sites in Iowa:





1. The Buffalo Bill Museum in LeClaire, Iowa (along the Mississippi River). Information is available at http://www.buffalobillmuseumleclaire.com/.





2. The Herbert Hoover Presidential Museum in West Branch, Iowa: http://hoover.archives.gov/.





Either of these can be toured briefly and both are close to I-80.





Enjoy your trip!



Driving through Iowa's I-80


Thanks for the tips! :)




to get a feel for farm life in iowa over a span of several years, you might consider Living History Farms in Urbandale, Iowa - Des Moines suburb. this is a good bet because it is right on the 35/80 intersection with easy access. rebuilt farm structures and restored town buildings. easy to walk.



other things come to mind but for a limited time this is good bet.





also, there is a strong influence of swedish immigrants in iowa - swedish cultural and heritage center in Stanton, iowa and Swedesburg, iowa come to mind. at one time in stanton there were several lutheran churches - swedes built the railroad across iowa.







there also is a john deere museum in moline illinois that might be of interest. history of farm machinery manufacturer.





have a safe trip.




You%26#39;ll be crossing the majestic Mississippi River when you leave Illinois. As one of the world%26#39;s largest rivers, it deserves more than a nod from a bridge. There are excursion boats in the Quad Cities -- Davenport, Moline, Rock Island and Bettendorf -- and some truly fine restaurants, parks and brew pubs along the riverfront. Make time to see the river!

No comments:

Post a Comment